Drupal has two default content types: Article and Basic Page. Additional content types can be created. The new content types can be assigned fields for data storage. Content types can also be configured to control when and where the fields are displayed. The content items can also be configured to display in different view modes (Teaser, Full content, Print, etc).Creating New Content Types
The procedure for creating a new content type is:
- Go to <Structure><Content types><Add content type>.
- Enter Name (Trail), Description(Hiking Trails), Title field label(Title), and Explanation or submission guidelines (An individual hiking trail).
- Under Publishing options check the boxes Published. Also check Create new revision if you wish to require a new revision for each update of the content type.
- Under Display settings check the box Display author and date information if desired.
- Under Comment settings set the desire comment parameters (hidden to turn off comments).
- Under Menu setting check the box Main menu if you wish the content to be tied to the main menu.
- Save the content type.
- To allow others to use the new content type, change permissions by:
- Go to <People><Permissions> and scroll down to the node section.
- Find the new content type and update the check boxes for Anonymous User, Authenticated User, and Administrator as desired.
The procedure for adding fields to a content type is:
- Go to <Structure><Content types><manage fields>.
- In the Add new field area, enter the values for the new field: label (Trail Name), the field_ value which is used by drupal and must be all lower-case (field_trailname), Type of data to store (Text) and Form element to edit the data (Text field). Also check the box if this is to be a required field. Click on <Save>.
- Next two screens will appear. The first concerns how the data will be stored in the database. For the Text data type, a prompt is issued for the Maximum length of the field (255).
The second screen configures
additional default values (min/max values, number of values, help text, etc.) and parameter for how the data field will display.
- Click on Save field settings.
- View how the new content entry screen displays by going to <Content><Add content><New Content Type(Trail)>. To refine how the input screen appears, go back to <Structure><Content types><manage fields>. You can change the labels to be more meaningful, such as change Body to Trail Description. Also you can change the amount of data input (changed rows from 20 to 10). Additionally the order of the fields can be changed by dragging-and-dropping the fields in the list.
Subscribing to RSS feeds will provide links to content for a website. To subscriber to RSS feeds:
- Go to
<Modules> and enable the Aggregator module.
- Go to <Configuration><Feed Aggregator><Add Feed> and enter the Title, URL, Update Interval (1hr) and News Items in Block (5).
- Select <Update Items> on the newly added feed to retrieve content from RSS.
- Go to <Structure><Blocks> and look for block associated with feed. Set block to display in the area desired